What is better than a warming, healthy and delicious carrot soup? This soup is so easy to make, and full of healthy stuff that is good for you. Carrots, chili, ginger… Perfect for a cold, rainy day when you need something warm and colorful. Serve your soup with some garlic bread or home made focaccia, and you have a hearthy meal to warm you up, even on the coldest of days.Print
- 1 kg / 2,2 lbs carrots
- 5 dl / 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 5 dl / 2 cups water
- 2 large onions
- 3 tbsp butter or plant based margarine
- 1 small, whole chili
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 lemon or orange
- Peel and roughly chop your carrots, no need to be fancy about it. Chop your onions in smaller pieces.
- Melt the butter in a big pot on medium heat and put the carrots and onions in. Stir well and gently
- fry until the onion is soft, making sure the onions don’t go brown, around 5-8 minutes. Salt a little bit during this.
- While the carrots and onions are in the pan, chop up your chili, grate the ginger and slice off the peel from your orange or lemon in as big bits as possible. Make sure you remove as much as possible of the white stuff on the inside of the peel, as it adds a bitter taste that you don’t want in your soup.
- When the onions and carrots are ready, add your stock, water, ginger, chili and citrus peels to the pan, stir well and let it boil up. Make a note of how many peels you have put in the soup, as you are going to remove them later.
- Allow to simmer until the carrots are tender, around 20 minutes.
- When the soup is ready, remove the citrus peels.
- Blend the soup with a blender or mixer until completely smooth.
- Serve with fresh herbs, a swirl of creme fraiche or natural yoghurt and bread.
This recipe can be made completely vegan, just make sure you use vegetable stock and plant based margarine. And skip the creme fraiche/yoghurt, obviously.
Carrot soup freezes really well, we like to make a lot of it when we do, so that we can put it in the freezer and pull it out for a lazy day.
If you think the soup gets too thick, just add some more stock or water.